Chris Uggen's Blog: cover versions

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

cover versions

Do covers matter? I don't judge books by their covers, but I do pick up cds when the cover art grabs me. Jeff and I had a cover image that linked voting with crime nicely, but it is already being used on another book. Oh well, we'll find something good. The press suggested a stripe version and an orange version as alternates.

Any advice? I hoped for something like this graffiti image but it probably isn't practical. Jeff's daughter Zoey also drew a wonderful cover for us, but it turns out that adults actually draw most art that looks like kids' work.

I'll leave it to the experts, but I know that something too heavy-handed, or a bad cover in general, won't help sales.

Well, should we go with stripes, orange, or discouragement?


6 Comments:

At 12:52 AM, Anonymous Learned Hand said...

Don't succumb to discouragement. Could I interest you in a Freakonomics-like cover?

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous sarah said...

I don't know, I mean, I think that Swamp Dogg really has a good concept going there...Wow. This is a tough one. I guess the orange one is a'ight, but I'm not diggin on the font...

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger christopher uggen said...

Yeah -- the font seems more military (M.A.S.H.-like)than criminal justice. The other covers are cool though (fyi, I thought Creedence was a lot less original once I heard Swamp Dogg).

 
At 8:46 PM, Anonymous sarah said...

You've heard Swamp Dogg??????

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Chris said...

Of course! I can't endorse the misogyny, but "total destruction to your mind" lives up to the title.

 
At 7:31 AM, Anonymous sarah said...

Unfortunately, itunes does not have any of Swamp Dogg's songs, so I will have to remain in my current state of deprivation as to his brilliance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home