Chris Uggen's Blog: hell hath no fury like a grindcore band scorned...

Friday, August 19, 2005

hell hath no fury like a grindcore band scorned...

Here's a Friday diversion from post-meeting ennui: The Smoking Gun reports that lawyers from the Iowa metal band Slipknot are confronting Burger King over their use of a "look-alike, sound alike 'band' in order to influence the Slipknot generation to purchase Chicken Fries." Burger King filed for a quick declaratory judgement, arguing that the "mock heavy metal band wearing chicken masks does not violate any rights, including rights of publicity or trademark rights." I love it when putatively silly and putatively serious worlds collide. To be sure, the masks of BK's "Coq Roq" (charming title, which itself has generated some controversy) do resemble those of Slipknot, but no 14-year-old metalhead would ever confuse them as "sound alikes" as the claim alleges.
I've got some free advice for the lawyers: BK's Coq Roq is clearly derivative, but they're ripping off Gluecifer -- the regressive Norwegian metal band of my kinsman, Rolf Yngve Uggen, aka Raldo Useless (love the guitar, dude, but please tell me you didn't write those lyrics). In fact, the first four words of Gluecifer's allmusic entry are "Scandinavian cock-rock combo," a phrase which may be trademark protected. But don't take my word for it. If you can spare the time or if you just can't resist, do the following: (1) hop over to the Coq Roq site to hear Cross the Road (which should load automatically); (2) now jump to Gluecifer's I Got a War (try here if it doesn't load). Same song, right? (3) Okay, now check out anything by Slipknot on yahoo launch. Way different vibe, right? The only common thread is that all three bands seem really, really scared of women. So, BK appropriated Slipknot's look but Gluecifer's sound. If Gluecifer ultimately gets damages from BK, they can send my cut to the general scholarship fund of my favorite public university (which, of course, in no way endorses either chicken fries or misogyny).

8 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, Anonymous sarah said...

Dude, I think you're getting blog-spammed (is there a term for that???)!

I recommend green onions.

 
At 10:46 PM, Anonymous chris said...

Hey Sarah, Thanks for the tip. As much as I hate censorship ("Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government, for a redress of grievances."), I'll have to (trash)can the spam. Was the SSSP house band as intense as Gluecifer?

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous sarah said...

It's a good thing you're not the Congress! Despite it's many assests, including your kinsman and a clever name, I must to say the Gluecifer's intensity in no way matches what I witnessed at SSSP. The bizzle was off the hizzle, Chrizzle. And you missed it all..

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger christopher uggen said...

Sarah, Thought of you today when I saw the Beatles pic in the strib. Amazing how world-weary (and spine-crushingly cool) they looked in '65. If you haven't seen it, there's a link on the 8/20 variety section at: http://www.startribune.com/variety/ And to think -- the mall of America now sits atop the (old Met stadium) site of the picture.

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous sarah said...

Totally dove straight for the Beatles story!!! Incredible. Incredile band. Yeah, I graduated HIGH SCHOOL at Met Stadium. I think we were maybe the last class at Richfield Senior High to do so (and I skated there once - in my former life as a small-time competitive figure skater. No, I've never done a triple axel). Thanks for thinking of me!

 
At 9:21 PM, Anonymous sarah said...

PS - I was thinking of Met Center. I think Met Stadium (where they played) was near there... In any case, I think of the Met Center whenever I have to go to the MOA (which is as infrequently as possible).

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous chris said...

Yeah, there's a marker in there somewhere indicating homeplate at the old ballpark. I have warm memories of the parking lot of Met Center during such cultural events as the Black Sabbath/Blue Oyster Cult show. :)

 
At 11:23 PM, Anonymous sarah said...

Now, what would a fine, upstanding young man like yourself have been doing in the parking lot during the Black Sabbath/Blue Oyster Cult show, I wonder? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home