Chris Uggen's Blog: word verification on comments

Monday, August 29, 2005

word verification on comments

To foil the spammers for a while, I added a little word verification task for commenters. This additional step is only meant to verify that an actual human being is doing the commenting rather than a spambot. Anyone can still comment anonymously on any post as long as they can type groovy distorted letters like these into a little verification box. There were just too many advertisements popping up in the comments section, for products that I really didn't want to endorse. At least I think they were ads. My friends wouldn't really be devoting blogs to the sale of ceiling fans, cat toys, and penile enhancement pills, would they?

4 Comments:

At 1:29 AM, Anonymous sarah said...

Dang! I was really getting some good referrals off your blog. =)

 
At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, as a trusted individual I can still hook you up with $15 million from a nice widow in Africa. Just send your bank records, credit card number, and paypal information...

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous eszter said...

Some of those comment spam messages were, indeed, quite hard to identify. (That is, you actually had to read a good chunk of them to realize they were spam, which is truly a waste of time.) This is a nice way to deal with the issue.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger christopher uggen said...

Right. I hate that long-lost generic friend tone: "Hey, cool blog! You must put a lot of work into it. You should come check out my blog on Stainless Steel Picture Frames." Everybody's gotta make a living, I guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home