Chris Uggen's Blog: amy's runners

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

amy's runners

Amy Blackstone has done some heavy lifting in recent years, raising my consciousness on gender issues. My good friend and collaborator took me to task last month for my male-dominated list of summer songs and my exclusively male list of running songs (yes, Ursula 1000 is actually a male dj). Thanks, Amy, for once again pointing out some all-too-casual sexism. I invited her additions, but (having some idea of the differences in our musical tastes) warned her that I would not, could not, run to earnest folk duos strumming acoustic guitars campfire-style. She graciously provided the following recommendations, which I include as friendly amendments to the previous lists:

I tried my darndest to remove most of the folksy/granola stuff (but yes, it IS possible to run to Peter, Paul, and Mary) and the bad 80's songs (and that's no easy feat for me!) but I'm sure a few gems survived my editing attempt.

Liz Phair (anything! but here are two that i've been running to lately... )
Liz Phair, Extraordinary
Liz Phair, Rock Me All Night
Sinead O'Connor, Mandinka
Sinead O'Connor, The Emperor's New Clothes
K's Choice, Not an Addict
Eurythmics, Would I Lie to You?
Eurythmics, Sisters Are Doin' It for Themselves
Sara McLachlan, Possession
Helen Reddy, I am Woman (just kidding! sort of.... )

Garbage, Special
Red Delicious, Want Me
Lucious Jackson, Naked Eye
Cyndi Lauper, Money Changes Everything
Dee Lite, Groove is in the Heart
Dido, Sand in My Shoes
Dido, Take My Hand
Holiday Ranch, Wish for a Holiday
Indigo Girls, Chickenman
Madonna, Into the Groove
Madonna, Beautiful Stranger
Joan Osborne, St. Teresa
Siouxsie & the Banshees, Kiss Them for Me
B-52's (I know, the lead singer is a guy, but still...), Rock Lobster
The Muffs, Red Eyed
'Til Tuesday, Love in a Vacuum
Olivia Newton-John, Physical (this time I really AM just kidding)
Kate Bush, Running Up That Hill
Katrina & the Waves, Walking on Sunshine
Rilo Kiley, Portions for Foxes

I better see at least one of these on your blog list the next time I check!

Consider it done! I don't know how I missed Liz Phair (esp. "never said nothing"). What other female artists should I be listening to/running to now? I need some new music to play before my deviance class. Today's selection was "Voodoo Cadillac" by Southern Culture on the Skids (it is a deviance course, after all), with Muddy Waters lined up for Thursday's lecture. Any ideas?

6 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger tina said...

Chris, get yourself some Electrelane. They are some hard-rocking women, and much of their stuff would be great to run to. Try "Only One Thing is Needed" to start.

 
At 11:17 PM, Anonymous sarah said...

I'm not a runner, but I finally did think of a couple of female rockers I dig. Of course, most of my musical preferences are several decades old. In spite of myself, I really like Gloria by Patti Smith. I also didn't see anything by Blondie, Janis Joplin, or PJ Harvey on the list...

 
At 11:17 PM, Anonymous chris said...

Cool, Tina. I like the organ -- it reminds me of the low-tech cool of Air's moon safari. Thanks!

 
At 11:26 PM, Anonymous chris said...

Sarah, I haven't heard that version of Gloria, but it looks cool. I do sometimes run to PJ Harvey -- that "little fish/big fish ... give me my daughter" in down by the water must be the spookiest whisper ever heard on commercial radio...

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous kathy h said...

For your deviance class, you should consider Heather Nova's "Virus of the Mind," from her album South. Sorry I'm not tech-savvy enough to link you directly to the song, but here's a snippet from the lyrics:

Well I went to this party thing last night
A lot of people I hadn't seen in a long long time
And they wanted to know about my life
But making me feel like it wasn't quite right
Like "Where's your kids?" and "Where is you car?"
I said "I don't have either but I have a guitar"
And I ended up feeling like I was a freak
So I found some wine and something to eat
I talked to the dog to pass the time
I told myself "I'm doing just fine"
It's just a virus of the mind

Well, it's really about social nonconformity -- is that the softer side of deviance?

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous chris said...

Nice, Kathy -- definitely appropriate. The examples fit at least 3 of the social definitions of deviance we use (normative, statistical, and reactivist). In my book, having a guitar rather than a car counts as "positive deviance" as well. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home