Chris Uggen's Blog: new student weekend

Monday, September 05, 2005

new student weekend

I always enjoy new student weekend at the minnversity. The past couple days I've shared a parking lot with freshparents loading belongings to the middlebrook hall dorms. I try to point them in the right direction and offer a friendly face (though parents can be a little suspicious of helpful but shabbily-dressed strangers claiming to be professors). Seeing parents on campus reminds me of Garrison Keillor's bit on his minnversity move-in day in the 1960s. He described a bunch of funny looking people packed into an old car, carrying him along with a mix of excitement, embarrassment, and sheer terror. My dad drove me to Madison in the 1980s, towing a u-haul full of guitars and perkins dinnerware in his trusty ford fairmont. Dad was cool, but I was a wreck anyway.

I hope my kids will attend college and, if so, I'm looking forward to gently humiliating them as they try to cultivate an image with their new roommates. Think about it. Move-in day is really a parent's last crack at embarrassing their children before they become full-fledged adults -- by the time they return home for Thanksgiving, that ship has sailed. So, I'm going to savor the moment. I've already got the outfit: bright yellow boots, perhaps paired with "obscene" running shorts from the 1970s. I'll be singing "All You Need is Love" in my karaoke voice -- which went over really well on a recent family trip to Wendy's -- happily carting boxes past the polo-shirted normal parents. Nah, I wouldn't do that... I promise to be cool, guys. :)

4 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Keshi said...

hey christopher uggen ,

I wonder if u eva thought of getting rid of anonymous comments or disabling em altogether?

U dun get any respectable anonymous comments- and all these spammers are disrespecting almost all of ur friends here...but u continue to provide a platform of entertainment for them here - why? d u enjoy their comments too??

Just a query...it's totally up to u if u wanna keep it enabled but I dun see why u have it enabled...not that I get affected by this gutter spam people anyway, but just that I wanna believe that u dun want to be an entertainer for them either!

check out MY blog. I dont allow anonymous losers to comment like you do

Keshi.

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous chris said...

hey keshi, Your blog is intense -- both words and images. As for anonymity, its not a problem unless its a problem, right? I don't get many comments, anonymous or otherwise. Plus, students sometimes worry I'll strike down upon them with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my bloggers.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Penn State Punk said...

Where is that picture from anyway? That father and student aren't outside of Middlebrook. It reminders me of views from the University of Colorado at Boulder.

As an aside, I bet you a beer when Tor is 18 you don’t see him as a “full-fledged adult”…. but rather still a kid.

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous chris said...

sure it is, punk -- that's mount middlebrook in the background. actually, i think its in utah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home