Chris Uggen's Blog: seven stages

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

seven stages

the minnversity gave me a nice honor tonight. the mind reeled as candace kruttschnitt introduced me to the assembled luminaries:

1. low-grade insecurity. is that my plate or hers? why didn't i shave this morning? should i talk shop with the dean and provost or just smile and nod? do not spill the wine.

2. wonder. dang, candace is good. she's making me sound good. there's no way i would've gotten this if she hadn't written. i hope i'll be a good advocate for my faculty as chair.

3. full-on ragin' insecurity (with radiohead soundtrack): what the hell am i doing here. i don't belong here...

4. acceptance. well, they haven't outed me as an imposter yet. my stuff is ok. i guess it's better to be overrated than underrated.

5. hubris. hey, maybe i deserve more stuff! "oh yes, that part was all me. and another thing about me ... did i mention what i did when i ... me...me...me..."

6. return to baseline. kids -- hope didn't seem very excited about choir and tor hasn't swung a bat in months. i'll call right away from the office. i am so late on that review and i promised i'd do that thing by tuesday. i've had a little wine, but those reviews could use a little wine. i am so freakin' far behind... did i get anything done today?

7. gratitude. is that all i have to worry about? how'd that happen? lots of help. lots of help. parents. my own li'l family. good pubschool edumacation. judicious discretion of a few local peace officers. great wizversity training and attention. amazing minnversity colleagues and support. jeff. fantastic students. grateful. don't forget to say thank you. happy to be here.

4 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Blogger sarah said...

Congratulations, Chris. I'm sure it's ever so slightly more deserved than you let on...

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Nice -- congratulations!

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Penn State Punk said...

please.......

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous valerio said...

chris, congrats on the professorship! and don't be stingy with the big bucks. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home