Chris Uggen's Blog: large black suit and small white corsage

Sunday, February 11, 2007

large black suit and small white corsage

my lad left the house tonight with a large black suit and a small white corsage. now it is 1:38 a.m. and i'm semi-anxiously awaiting his return from the formal's informal afterparty.



i told him to just relax and have fun. as both delinquency teacher and parent, however, i felt obliged to add, "so long as it isn't the sort of fun that gets you suspended from school, kicked off the wrestling team, and tossed into juvenile detention." i wanted to say or breaks your heart in a million pieces, but that would have been too much for one night.



i like to be around my kids for such moments, though the photographic record reveals that i'm mostly just hanging in the background. ever since they were little,* i guess that i've tried to stay out of the way and let them have their moments. when i saw this picture tonight, i recalled that just a few years ago tor was barely bigger than me. this photo dates from 12-year-old little league. immediately after being mobbed by teammates and getting his trophy, he raced across the field to tackle ol' dad. the fact that he wanted me to share his big moment (and, no doubt, to lay me out on the diamond) made it all the sweeter.

after reading a few of my posts, my friend akiva asked, "don't your kids ever get embarrassed that you write about them? don't they just want to kill you?" sometimes, i guess, but not because of the blog. i suppose this post would be the kind of thing that could embarrass or anger tor. on the other hand, he tries to remain oblivious to everything i do -- particularly lame things such as blogs -- so he's unlikely to take offense. and if he does take offense, i'll just ask him what the heck i'm supposed to do with my time while waiting up for him at 1:38 am.


* i use the term figuratively, recognizing that one of my kids was never actually little.


5 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Blogger Radio Free Newport said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Radio Free Newport said...

Tor looks pretty intense, can you bring him to ASA? I'd like him to stand in front of me when I give a paper and just DARE someone to ask a stupid question. Hell, I'll even buy him lunch!

 
At 11:53 PM, Anonymous chris said...

tor and esperanza attended ASA once, working the room at the crime/law/deviance reception. i was up for a promotion at the time, so the lad took great delight in wrapping a paw around certain [unnamed] reviewers and saying, "my dad is, like, really scared of you, dude."

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Ann Miller said...

Chris, your postings, especially this one, are just such a breath of fresh air. As a parent of a son who has grown up very quickly, there were several points during this story where I laughed out loud (up at the cashier desk at REI- quiet night here again).

I love the idea of you loaning Tor to your fellow presenters at ASA.

AM

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger david said...

Hey! I am searching for Best Online Shop for Italian Suits For Men

 

Post a Comment

<< Home