Chris Uggen's Blog: 62 games and 3 plunks

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

62 games and 3 plunks

he's 41 years old, he's got his 3,000 hits, and his lifetime pass to the hall of fame is all but punched. so, the pride of the astros has announced that he's hanging 'em up at the end of the season. dang. could craig biggio really just up and quit when he's only 3 plunks shy of the all-time record?

hughie "yeehah" jennings has held baseball's coveted hit-by-pitch record for over a century. mr. biggio is currently stuck on 285 to mr. jennings' 287, but the astro still has 62 games to catch the grandmaster and i'll be cheering him on.

maybe the record means more to me than it does to mr. biggio; but for my ability to take one for the team, my little league on-base percentage would have dipped far south of the mendoza line. still, i'm not the only one exhorting mr. biggio to lean in and crowd the plate. from plunkbiggio:

this site will be looking for those 3. 3 shall be the number of the counting and the number of th[e] counting shall be 3. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Okay, 4 or 5 would be great too, but 3 is the magic number.

go get 'em, craig. how often are you gonna use that left elbow in retirement, anyway?

1 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Blogger Woz said...

You know, I like Biggio a lot. As a young and aspiring catch (as he once was), I followed his career to a great extent. I even have his minor-league rookie card still hanging out in my room somewhere. But I'm not entirely sure he's really a Hall candidate. He seems to be a really great guy who plays with a lot of heart and grit, but stats like 3,000 hits prove more that the guy stayed healthy than that he was a superb player. I mean, he is only a career .282 hitter, which is not that impressive.

And I've really gotta knock his plunk record for one reason--the elbow pad. His isn't nearly as bad as A-Rod's or Bond's, but I detest those pads with a passion. And besides, given Biggio's speed, he's got more of an incentive to get plunked, as opposed to the soon-to-be all-time home run leader and the guy who has a pretty good chance of breaking that record down the road, who would probably much rather swing away and strike out than get a free base.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of taking one for the team, and my Mendoze level batting average often made it the best course of action for me. But part of the free base is that you gotta take it like a man, or woman in more progressive locales.

People all over are saying that Bond's previously sure-fire Hall spot may not happen because of his "alleged" performance-enhancer use. Is not the elbow pad just a simpler performance-enhancer for the guy who takes the plunk?

I think Biggio could set an example for children everywhere by admitting he's been wrong to use the pad, and take it off for these record-breaking plunks.

Now that would be Hall worthy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home