Chris Uggen's Blog: lileks on phone books: heavy on characters, light on plot

Friday, June 13, 2008

lileks on phone books: heavy on characters, light on plot

james lileks strikes just the right tone in railing against the 967 pounds of unwanted phone books currently being dumped on your doorstep:

having a human being physically schlep the ginormous phone book to your door is like having someone show up at your house with a slab of ice over his shoulder. Hello, I'm from the previous century. Need anything? No. Well, could I print off the Internet for you? No.

perfect. i've been dutifully hauling the new books in and tossing out the old ones, though i haven't actually referred to anything but the li'l local directory in a decade. and that was for a pizza coupon, i think. ecojoe's suggests that one can halt delivery of the books by calling 1-877-243-8339 or visiting yellowpagesgoesgreen. i'm not sure this will stop the madness, but it might be worth a try.

if you like mr. lilek's strib column, you should visit his fine site and institute. as with trips to the louvre or the met, one should allow several days of study to fully appreciate the collection. the site forms a nice feeder system for mr. lilek's print publications, such as his remarkable gallery of regrettable food.

4 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger Garetjax said...

I had no use for the phonebooks ever since I got high speed Internet, just too easy to look it up on the computer. I have a membership with MyJunkTree and they helped my stop the phone books. I signed up with them to Stop Junk Mail, but the phone books was an added bonus. I used these guys to stop misc junk mail, credit card offers, weekly coupons, and all the catalogs I no longer wanted. After I clicked on the button to stop teh phone books, I received a confirmation that my name was off of the list. It was quick and easy.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Garetjax said...

I had no use for the phonebooks ever since I got high speed Internet, just too easy to look it up on teh computer. I have a membership with MyJunkTree and they helped my stop the phone books. I signed up with them to Stop Junk Mail, but the phone books was an added bonus. I used these guys to stop misc junk mail, credit card offers, weekly coupons, and all the catalogs I no longer wanted. After I clicked on the button to stop teh phone books, I received a confirmation that my name was off of the list. It was quick and easy.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger MyJunkTree said...

I happen to be one of the owners of MyJunkTree and as a new company I search the web to see if we are getting any visibility out there and it seems the word is getting out. Thanks for the support.

We launched the company because we were tired of all the junk mail we were receiving and we personally did not want to bounce all over the web to contact all the different companies to stop it all. First and foremost we wanted to let people choose what they wanted to let come to their home knowing that some people really do like some of the coupons and catalogs. So our clients choose what they want stopped.

We also had to provide a service that is different than the other services out there, so here is what we offer:

1. We have a database of over 1300 catalogs that you can choose to stop.
2. We have over a 2000 charities/Non-Profits that you can stop solicitations from.
3. Stop the delivery of the national phone directories.
4. Stop the delivery of the weekly coupons.
5. Stop the general credit card offers as well as the ones from your own major bank.
6. Stop the miscellaneous junk mail from the data brokers.
7. You can register on the National Do Not Call Registry from the website.
8. You can order your no strings attached free annual credit report right from the website.
9. We plant trees with every new membership.

And, yes we are a paid service and yes you can do everything that we do for free, if you want to do all the research and spend the time contacting the companies yourself it can easily be done. We have just done all of the legwork for our clients and feel there is value in the service we provide.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger MyJunkTree said...

If you want to do more than just Stop Junk Mail that comes to your home, this site might also be of interest to you. Stopping Free Papers. It is a free service and they help you stop the delivery of all the free papers that are thrown in your driveway. The site is sponsored by MyJunkTree and it is totally free!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home