Chris Uggen's Blog: (sort of) on facebook

Thursday, June 19, 2008

(sort of) on facebook

i'm not really on facebook, but i set up an account weeks ago so that i could see a friend's picture. i still couldn't see the picture, of course, because i was only an unofficial friend. at that point, i wasn't so interested anymore and i didn't pursue an officially sanctioned friendship with picture-viewing privileges.




stumbling upon my lonesome shell of a page, sarah shannon was characteristically supportive: "dude, you need some friends." so, now i've got ten friends -- i'm sure that must be some sort of facebook record, right? no? oh well, here's the cool news:


Chris and Tor Uggen are now friends.12:55pm

yes, my seventeen-year-old actually invited me to see his page. i don't want to abuse the privilege by blogging about its contents* or even discussing them with him, but i'm glad he let me in. this called to mind a few research ideas about secrecy and parent-kid relationships (is sharing such info a good thing for families or does it create too-much-information problems? do some maintain shadow pages where they put the real stuff?). i'd best shut up about them, however, before he changes his mind and puts some sort of block on me.

* ok, one exception: in the About Me section of his personal info, he writes "i'm a leggy blonde." that's pretty accurate, i guess.

update: check out jay's post on how worlds collide when parents view kids' facebook entries.

6 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger Mike3550 said...

Chris - At my wife's insistence, I finally joined Facebook. After joining and accepting her friend request, Facebook informed me:

Mike and Erica are now friends.

I was glad we cleared that up.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Anomie said...

My mom has full access to my Facebook. I'm 30, so the dynamics are a bit different, but still. I think it keeps me in check; just about all my social networking stuff feeds through my Facebook account--twitter, blog, etc--so just about everything I write requires me to think "would I want my mom to see this?"

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger sarah said...

Well, I hope you're prepared for the onslaught of friend requests that this blog post will no doubt procure. Have to admit I enjoyed the fleeting few days during which you owed all 7 of your friends to me!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Jon said...

It's fun when you "get married" on facebook too. It's like renewing your vows...sorta.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger christopher uggen said...

mike and jon, that's sweet -- and much easier than that whole bended-knee-and-ring ritual.

anomie, my whole family stops by this blog from time to time, so i know the feeling. usually i'm asking myself, "would i want my dean/provost/university president reading this?"

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Brad Wright said...

When I opened my facebook account, I was stealth & unnoticed for awhile. No friends, but the clear attribution was that I wasn't fully doing the facebook thing.

Then, I got one friend request which I unthinkingly accepted. After that, for some time, I had "one" friend--looking just really lame rather than cool disengaged.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home