Chris Uggen's Blog: my left foot/tore down

Sunday, October 05, 2008

my left foot/tore down

i've had some ups and downs over twentysomething marathons, but today marks my first DNF. yeesh. i've always empathized with those poor souls sitting on the curb, heads down, awaiting the meat wagon. well, today it was my turn.

the good folks at the med tent say i tore the plantar fascia, which apparently resulted in the expanding black-cherry jelly stain shown above (photo by esperanza). the injury is hard to describe, but it felt a bit like tearing a heavy piece of paper or a manila file folder. there's some pain involved, but my biggest concern is about not running for the next few weeks. i'm sure i'll find some other activity to keep my head from exploding, but i'll miss my nightly run.

4 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Aw, man, Chris, that sucks. I've had plantar fasciitis and that hurts enough -- I can't imagine tearing the darn stuff.

I hope it heals fast and well.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Dave P. said...

Nasty! Sorry to hear about your injury, hope you heal quickly.

I just had a discussion with one of my senior colleagues last night about the perils of athletics once you get past 40...

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

My foot hurts just looking at that! Owie. Good thing you've got the couch in the office now so you can put your feet up!

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger christopher uggen said...

thanks, friends. after the summer speeding tickets, last week's tire/rim blowout on the uggmobile, and today's fascia fiesta, i'm starting to hear the karmic message to ease up on the accelerator.

but things are looking up. i'll be sporting some wicked-cool crutches at monday's minnesota justice forum and the voting rights gathering at powderhorn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home