Chris Uggen's Blog: summer reclamation project

Thursday, July 30, 2009

summer reclamation project

After four years on the blog, I took my first real hiatus this summer. Chalk it up to a confluence of factors: feeling frayed and filetted after a long academic year; falling too far behind to justify any expenditure on non-family leisure; the fear that one snarky post could undo a lot of good work as department chair and editor; and, the desire to avoid whiny, sanctimonious, and self-indulgent posts in a period when my privileged head is full of whiny, sanctimonious, and self-indulgent thoughts. In short, the 'ol dobber was down.

Just to turn the page, however, I'm sharing my personal $700 billion summer stimulus package and reclamation plan in the figure below. As you can see, it involves major legislation, a host of agencies, divisions, and departments, and a program of systematic and rigorous self-evaluation. Progress is slow but measurable, although I'm not ruling out the possibility of a second stimulus and reclamation project this fall.

6 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

This is seriously the most awesome thing I have seen in a while.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Marissa said...

Ok, the one that worries me is "interim pants elimination program."

Other than that it looks good. A little like the Medicine Wheel. I didn't know you were into Native American spirituality.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger christopher uggen said...

thanks, sarah and marissa. i should've clarified the concept of interim pants: http://chrisuggen.blogspot.com/2007/01/interim-pants.html

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Marissa said...

It makes sense now.

I was a little worried. No pants in the interim? Shorts only? Or just...no pants?

I've heard them called something else: fat pants.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I also think there should be another department added under Health Risk Surveillance System - something along the lines of the Bureau of Sleep, Relaxation and (gasp!) Vacation.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Dave P. said...

Awesome. "Interim pants" still makes me laugh out loud.

I've been pouring more of my non-work energy into songwriting and a new band, so there's less time for my blog. But it's nice to have it there when I need it.

Have you checked out The 757s yet?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home